Wednesday 15 June 2016

An Introduction

I have been toying with the idea of starting a health and fitness blog for a while now.  I'm no fitness expert but it's something that I am becoming more passionate about, and I would like to document my fitness journey and share it with others should they wish to read it.

Often people say they couldn't be motivated like me, that they could never find the time or the effort to exercise so much, or they ask how I fit it in around work - working in a hospital can come with demanding shifts.  But honestly I'm not that motivated and if I lack motivation then I find a reason to spur me on.  I'm lazy sometimes too.  As for fitting in the exercise, you have to put the shift work to your advantage.  Have a morning off? Then wake up a little bit earlier to get that gym session in, and no it won't make you feel more tired, it will make you feel more alert if anything.

A little background info on me.
I have never been very overweight, I have never been super skinny either.  I have always eaten healthyish and back when I was a student I exercised now and then but not very regularly.  Then I started working full time, I got a gym membership, I went to the gym now and then and I religiously attend my pole fitness class every week.  In May 2015 I really got in to the gym, abandoned it over the summer, but slowly picked it over autumn.

In October 2015 I found out that I had a place in the London Marathon.  I went out for a few running sessions and hated them.  It wasn't until January 2016 that I seriously got in to the running.  I started doing some form of exercise every day (or at least most days), and I started researching how to really fuel my body.

In April 2016 I realised that I had lost 1 stone since January.  If anything I had been eating more than usual, but the correct nutrition instead of the lettuce I used to think was healthy.  I realised that I was fitter than I had ever been, and I looked better than I ever had.  As for alcohol, I used to drink the amount an average 20something year old who enjoys nights out would drink.  Now I barely drink, and feel much better for it.  Don't get me wrong, I like a nice beer in the sun in a pub garden, but I think drinking less alcohol has been a big contributor to the weight loss.

Now the London Marathon is over I don't want to revert back to my old ways.  I want to carry on with the diet (not dieting, but my everyday food) and gyming, and running and pole fitness.  I don't particularly want to lose any more weight but I want to get fitter, stronger and better at it.  I am going to document it all here and how I fit it around my shift work.  My own little fitness journey.

Like I said I am in no way a health and fitness expert and I am constantly learning, experimenting and trying new things.

Well that was far longer than I anticipated.  I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment